There are several different types of hackers. Black hat and white hat hackers are arguably the most known. However, there is also the red hat hacker, who we will discuss in this brief guide.
Introducing Red Hat Hackers
Red hat hackers operate in a similar way as the white hat hackers. Both are considered ethical and vigilante hackers. However, to counter the bad guys, red hat hackers use different methods than their white hat counterparts.
For example, they could decide to launch aggressive attacks on black hats by uploading viruses and try to access the hacker’s computer to completely destroy it.
Characteristics of Red Hat Hackers
- Red hat hackers operate by their own rules. Rather than reporting malicious hackers, they shut them down by taking aggressive actions.
- They possess a mix of white and black hat hackers’ characteristics. That is, they could use unethical tools or methods for ethical reasons.
- Red hats are among the smartest in the hacking industry and there are not too many.
How to Become a Red Hat Hacker
Desiring to be a red hat hacker means you want to be an ethical hacker. Here is how you can get started:
- The fundamental hacking skill is computer programming. If you don’t know any computer languages, you could start with Python.
- Get a security certification and find yourself a security position in an organization.
- Learn the tools of the trade and get yourself ready to hack soonest with your Certified Ethical Hacking (CEH) approval.
- To get this CEH, you will need to understand certain skills like penetrating testing, reconnaissance, footprinting and social engineering.
- Learn everything about the CEH. Google is very handy. But there are also other resources that can help you prepare you for what’s ahead.
- You will also attempt the CEH examination to qualify you for the task and you can get right on with it.
Preserving the data of computer users and saving them from the torture of falling victim to malicious hackers are golden responsibilities for red hat hackers. While their methods may not be everyone’s cup of tea, they usually get the job done.